Tuesday 12 July 2022

 

 Tell the Mountain Just How Big Your God Is!

(reposted, because I need reminding)

 


As I sit here, after a very long week and a half (or has it been a very long year?), tired, weary and just plain exhausted, this little saying came to mind.

“Stop complaining to God about how big your problems are,

and start telling your problems how big your God is!”

Do you ever find yourself complaining to God about your problems? Do you find yourself questioning him? Do you wonder why life has to be so hard? Are you weary and longing for rest?

I think, if you’re honest with yourself, you will answer each of those questions with a resounding, YES! And I will too.

No one has to be convinced that life is difficult at times and the days are long, but never long enough to fit everything in that needs to be done.

I think we need to remind ourselves continually that God is bigger than our problems. We need to stop complaining and start praising! We need to talk back to our problems.

I am often convicted of my unthankful spirit as I go through my busy days. The work presses in on me and I just want a rest, the bills keep piling up and I just want it to end, but when I look back over my day as I finally stop, numerous examples of God’s goodness come to mind and I am humbled by God’s love and mercy and his kindness to me, despite my complaining spirit.

My problems may seem like mountains, they may seem insurmountable, but in God’s eyes, they are tiny. He is so much bigger than any circumstance I have to deal with.

And when I start to remind myself of God’s greatness, then I am able to tell my problems just how big my God really is!

There are many verses in scripture that tell of God’s greatness.

Psalm 147:5 KJV - Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Psalm 145:3 KJV - Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

1 Chronicles 29:11 KJV - Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

Lamentations 3:22-23 KJV - It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Ephesians 3:20-21 KJV - Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

There is a song that I really love, and I can’t help but smile and rejoice (and sometimes shout) when I hear it. The chorus goes like this:

The mountain will tell you
That you can't make it over
It will try to convince you
That it's way too high
Though you feel defeated
Know that God keeps His promise
So you tell the mountain
Just how big your God is

Did you know our problems like to talk to us? They fill our thoughts and minds with seeds of doubt and uncertainty. Their whispers cause us to feel anxious and overwhelmed.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. We can talk back to them. We can tell them how big our God is!

Those mountains in our lives, those big, scary problems, those trials that seem never-ending, those bills that we fear we’ll never be able to pay, those long and weary days, we can tell them about our God.

We don’t have to live defeated lives. As I’ve said so often before, God may not always choose to calm the storm around you, but He can calm the storm inside you.

We can have peace even when chaos abounds. And we do this by clinging to God’s promises, reminding ourselves of his character, his love and mercy, and walking in faith, not doubting, but prayerfully putting one foot down after another, always believing that He will provide the firm footing we need.

Let’s tell our mountains about God’s greatness. Let’s shout it from the rooftops. Let’s worship with all our being. Let’s sing God’s praises continually, as we go about our days.

God always keeps his promises. He tells us that he won’t leave us or forsake us. He promises to be with us. He promises to bring light to our path. He promises to love us with an everlasting love. He promises peace. He promises to give us wings to mount up as eagles. He promises to give us rest. He promises to carry our burdens.

Need I go on?

When you feel your burdens weighing you down and your problems begin to whisper discouraging voices in your head, shout them down! Quiet the voices with praises to God. Don’t be afraid to tell them how big your God is!

 

Jeremiah 32:17 KJV - Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

 

 

So, you tell the mountain
Just how big your God is

 

 

 

 

 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jillian. It is all about perpective isn't it. Where we place our focus. When our focus is on God's greatness and His power, our problems are put in their true light. Thank you for your encouragement. God bless.

    ReplyDelete