Friday 18 March 2022

 

God Gives The Strength You Need




“God’s ways of answering his people’s prayers is not by removing the pressure, but by increasing their strength to bear it” D. L. Moody

I came across this quote today while going over some old notes and I realised how very apt it was for my current situation.

We have, as a family, been going through some stressful times of late in regard to our family business and the struggle has been all too real. Never before, in our marriage, have we faced quite the difficulties that have arisen over the past few months.

There has been so much uncertainty and so many questions. We’ve cried out to God and felt like, at times, he was turning a deaf ear to our pleas. We have not understood God’s plans and the way he has orchestrated things that were totally beyond our control. We’ve felt discouraged, frustrated, fearful and anxious. We’ve wondered why he would bring us this far in our business, blessing us beyond measure, only to take it all away in a very short space of time.

Now, I don’t tell you all this to gain your sympathy. No. I tell you all this, relaying the seemingly bad, so I can share with you the overwhelming good.

In reading the quote today, I realised just how true it was.

Over the past weeks, all too often, I prayed for God to relieve the pressure. I prayed for the trial to end, for answers to come, for favourable outcomes to be forthcoming. And yet, despite my prayers and sometimes tears, God seemed stubborn in answering the way I wanted.

Now, we know that God is a righteous and holy God. And he is perfect in every way. So, although he was not answering the way I thought he should, he was giving the answers I needed.

I’ve written numerous articles on the subject of trials and sufferings, so I don’t want to go into that today. But, I want to reiterate what D. L. Moody said in his quote and encourage you to rely on the Lord.

It’s so true that although God doesn’t always choose to remove the pressure, he will always enable us with the strength to bear it. God knows just how much pain we can bear, and he gives us just the right amount of power and strength and energy to cope with it.

As we’ve battled through sickness due to Covid, as we’ve struggled to make business decisions that could make or break us, God was faithful and his presence was near, bringing peace to our troubled souls.

Yes, there were hard days and days we didn’t know what to do, and they’re still ongoing. We are still seeking God’s wisdom in our decisions, and we are still not sure of the next step. We don’t know what the future holds for us, but we do know, and we do have the calm assurance that he is with us and he is in control. He is not removing the pressure at this time, but he is giving us the strength to bear it.

I can attest to the fact that he is a powerful God who grants not only strength, but also peace to his children.

The past 3 weeks, due to unplanned problems, the girls and I have been on our own, running things and holding the fort while Dave is away. It is an amazing thing and definitely, assuredly a God thing, that I have coped with this separation and the stress that it has brought.

The old me would have struggled so much and spent many a tearful, sleepless night, wallowing in my little pity party, hurt, afraid and frustrated at God for his unwanted plans. But, this time, God has done a work in my heart and taught me so much about patience, trust and faith that it has left me astounded at what I could accomplish and what peace I could have in my heart.

It is ALL God’s doing! I take no credit for any of it. I know that only God could have given me the peace and strength. Only God could help me with decisions that needed to be made. Only God could help me rest peacefully at night, despite raging storms (literally) and a giant python visiting our humble abode. Only God could dry my tears and calm my anxious thoughts.

Only God could choose not to remove the pressure, and instead increase the strength needed to bear it.

In hindsight and going forward, I’ve realised that maybe I need to change the way I pray. Maybe what I should be praying is, “God, help my unbelief”. Increase my strength. Give me the enabling only you can give. I need to stop praying, “Remove the pressure, the pain and the trial” and instead ask him to give me some of his power. Not my will, but his.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

God will give us the power we need. He will grant us the spirit of power. We don’t need to have a spirit of fear. And isn’t it beautiful that he says he will give us a sound mind? So much of what we fear is all in our minds. Our thoughts are very controlling things, and we have to be constantly on the watch that we reign in our thoughts and think on the right things.

The Bible tells us that God’s strength is made perfect in weakness. When we are weak, he is strong. He is always strong and yet when we are at our weakest, it is then that his strength is truly revealed and our eyes are opened to his Almighty power as he reaches down and lifts our weary heads, strengthens our tired arms and turns our burdens into blessings.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Our current trial is not over, and I know it won’t be the last one, but I’m so glad for the lessons I’ve learnt and am learning, day by day, as God brings his peace to my heart and teaches me, convicts me, rebukes me and moulds me more into his image.

I am a lumpy, muddy, messy, unformed, and ugly piece of clay, but I am being transformed by the Master Potter and it’s in his nail scarred hands that I lay content, submitting to the workings of a masterful and skilful artist, who will do exactly what he knows is best for me.

Lord, give me the strength to bear the pressure you bring and help me to be content with the trials you send, counting it all joy and giving you all the glory!

Psalm 29:11 

The LORD will give strength unto his people;

 the LORD will bless his people with peace.


   Have Thine own way, Lord,  

 Have Thine own way;

Thou art the Potter,

 I am the clay.

Mould me and make me,

 After Thy will,

While I am waiting,

                                                               Yielded and still.      

            

No comments:

Post a Comment