Wednesday 16 March 2022

 

Are You Choosing Joy?



James 1:2

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

In the book of James, we find an interesting verse. We are told, when trials come, to ‘count’ it all joy. Did you notice it doesn’t say to ‘feel’ joy? Neither does it say to doubt. To fear. To complain. To be angry. To be discontent. No. The Bible tells us to count it all joy when we face certain trials.

It goes against every fibre of our being to be joyful during trials and suffering. To view a difficult time through the lens of joy is not something that comes as second nature to us. If you’re human, then you are going to struggle with this idea of being joyful during trials. When difficult times arise, we find it hard to be happy in the midst of it. We can’t wait until it’s all over and we’re on the other side. All we crave is escape.

But the Bible is God’s inspired Word, and every word was put there for a reason. The Words of scripture are for our benefit and for our learning. So, for James to tell us to count it all joy, then we are supposed to sit up and take notice.

Too often we view all trials as negative, and we don’t see how joy can exist in hardship. But if the Bible tells us to be joyful in the midst of them, then it must be possible to achieve. But how?

That is the big question I’ve been asking myself over the past few months. How do I experience God’s joy and peace during my times of trial? How do I count it all joy? How do I change my perspective and my attitude, because that’s what it amounts to? A change in perspective and attitude, recognizing that our difficult times are sent by the hand of God.

How do I stay joyful? How do I reorient my way of thinking so that I experience joy instead of sadness, doubt, fear, discontent, anger?

Trials are hard. They are not enjoyable. They are painful, but they exist for a purpose. There is meaning to our trials.

Paul knew something of hardship. He suffered many things at the hands of wicked, ungodly men, in his endeavour to preach the Word. And yet, we find him constantly encouraging his fellow-believers to stay faithful despite their circumstances and he had come to learn the blessing of contentment.

Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

What was it that gave him the ability to be joyful in trials? Was it his upbeat personality? Was it because he was an optimist, glass half full type? No. It was because of the power of Christ. It wasn’t through his own strength that he was able to find joy and peace, but through the power of Jesus Christ. He realised that God supplied the strength needed for those hard times. It was through Christ that he could do all things, including suffering through hardship.

If we’re going to be able to count it all joy, we have to depend wholly and solely on the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the only way we will have the endurance to last the distance. It is all of him and none of me. The simple truth is, we can’t make it through our trials alone, Jesus is the key. He is the reason we can endure. He is our hope and peace.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy

So, we see that we can be joyful through trials because we have God’s power and strength to rely on. We can rest on the promise that he will be with us, through the valley of the shadow of death, through the dark times and he will make his power available to us and enable us to endure.

Another way we can count it all joy is by recognizing God’s work in our lives as a purifying work and a time where he seeks to grow us in spiritual maturity. I mentioned before that trials have a purpose. That purpose is to help us grow.

James 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Trials are not sent to harm us but to help us. They help work patience into our lives. Now, I don’t know about you, but I could do with a whole lot more of that! I don’t like to pray for it though, because I know how it is God likes to develop patience. Through trials. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix.

That word patience in the Greek has the idea of steadfastness. It’s not a word we use often, but I like to think of it as unshakeable. Immoveable. Not easily rocked. If we develop steadfastness, we become strong in our faith and although the winds may blow, the fires may burn, the waves may crash overhead, we are not easily rocked. We are not shaken in our faith. We are able to stay rejoicing through it all. We can be like that tree by the river. If our roots are down deep, rooted in Christ, we won’t be easily shaken.

Psalm 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

If we are to count it all joy, it will involve a careful counting, a deliberate evaluating of the way we see our trials. We have to change our perspective. It’s not a matter of the emotions, but a matter of faith. We are not told to ‘feel’ joy, but to ‘count’ joy. It’s a matter of the heart and mind. We have to retrain our mind to think properly. It has nothing to do with how we feel physically, it is an act of obedience and a choice we have to make. Will we choose bitterness or joy?

I know, when I put it like that, who wouldn’t choose joy? We all want to be happy, don’t we? But it’s a choice. We have to decide whether we will be joyful. Despite our world coming crashing down around us, will we trust in the Lord and in the knowledge that he is good, he is God, he loves us unconditionally, he is working in our lives to make us more like him, or will we resist him and fight against the trial? Will we crumble under the pressure, or will we stand firm on the rock that is Christ, content in his perfect will, knowing his plans are better?

I wish I could say, along with the Apostle Paul, that I have learned to be content in whatever state I’m in, but I still have a long way to go. I have to make that choice daily. The choice to rejoice in the trial and let God work. The choice to follow blindly along, my hand in his, trusting him to lead and guide me, although the way is dark and I can’t see the purpose in the trial, I need to choose to grow my faith.

And what I find, when I rest in his promises, when I lie submissive under his will, when I stop fighting and struggling against the pressure, the joy begins to come. I’m not instructed to feel joy, I’m told to count joy. If you act in obedience to God’s Word, despite not feeling joy, you will find that slowly and surely, the happiness begins to well up inside you and the joy comes.

What started as a burden, becomes a blessing. Your faith is strengthened. Your relationship with Christ is made stronger. Your endurance level is lengthened. And the next time you go through difficult circumstances, you have the calm assurance that God has done it before, and he’ll do it again!

If he has brought you through one trial, he can bring you through another. And another. And another. God will reward the faithfulness of his children.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Learn to recognize trials for what they are. Lessons from God to produce spiritual growth in your life. Make a conscious effort to remember past victories, lessons learned, progress made and decide to choose joy!

Habakkuk 3:17-18

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment