Wednesday 23 March 2022

Exchange your ‘Why’ for a ‘Who’



 

Do you ever find yourself behaving like a toddler, following God around and uttering that annoying one-syllable word ‘why’ repeatedly?

We question God on so many accounts and for so many reasons. We struggle with the why and the unanswered prayers. We fight against the silence and the ‘whys’ just keep rolling off our tongue.

Well, you’re not alone in your questioning. Not only do we, in this present day, suffer from this annoying habit, but so did our predecessors.

Over and over, we read in the Bible, and particularly the Psalms, of people grief stricken, hurting and asking why of God.

Psalm 22:1-2 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

King David was very vocal in pouring out his heart to God.

There will always be times and seasons in our lives where we find ourselves questioning God. But God is near, and he longs for you to pour out your heart to him. Not just in the good times, but in those difficult seasons too.

When we tell God exactly how we feel and be specific about our fears and doubts, he doesn’t turn a deaf ear. He is listening even if it seems he is not. He is working in the background, his plans unfolding in the darkness, ready to be revealed in his perfect timing.

I love these verses in Psalm 62.

Psalm 62:5-8 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

These verses encourage us to pour our hearts out to God. The Hebrew word for pouring out has the idea of to dump, cast, gush or shed. That sounds very dramatic, doesn’t it? But at times, our pouring out is dramatic and loud and emotional. But don’t let that scare you. At times we need to get real with ourselves and get real with God. Tell him exactly how you feel. Respectfully and in awe of what he will do.

But notice what else the verses tell us. They remind us that God is our rock. Our salvation. Our defence. Our strength. Our refuge.

If that doesn’t encourage your heart, I’m not sure what will.

King David, with all his questioning, still knew who God was and often after a pouring out of his heart, he would finish the Psalm with praise and worship and a reminder of who God was and what he meant to him.

Not only is God encouraged when we pour out our hearts to him in prayer and conversation, but he is excited when we remember who he is and what he can do.

I have discovered, that not knowing the ‘why’ pushes me closer to the Lord. It is at these times, the times where God seems silent, that I am drawn to him. I cling to him with every ounce of my being as I know he is my only hope. Nothing that the world has to offer will bring me the peace and joy I need, and I spend many hours on my face seeking him and learning from him.

Look back over your life and remember the times where you were at your lowest and the circumstances were dire and see if they were the times where you felt you had the most growth in your spiritual walk. Were they the seasons you spent more time in prayer and reading the Word? Did you seek out Christian fellowship just a little more? Did you find that with all your questioning, there was a drawing into the presence of God? Did you hold to him more? Speak with him more? Long to be nearer to him?

Would we be bold enough to trade in our ‘why’ for ‘who’?

Should we not instead be asking who? Who is our God? Who is he? What power does he have? Isn’t he the righteous, holy, perfect, all-knowing, ever-loving God, the rock of our salvation, the shelter from the storm, the shepherd of our souls, the Creator, the Saviour?

It’s ‘who’ that really matters, not ‘why’.

We may have our questions, but if we take a minute to stop and think about who God is and what he means to us, we might just hold our tongue and stop questioning and start worshipping.

If we begin to remember past victories and past blessings and how he has brought us through the fire time and time again, then maybe we wouldn’t need to ask so many ‘why’ questions.

Trade in your ‘why’ for a ‘who’.

Train yourself to focus less on the questions, and more on trusting the Lord, despite where you find yourself and the difficulties you may be facing.

Pour your heart out to God regularly, but don’t stay in that position. Stand to your feet and take time to praise him. Praise him for who he is. And give him all the glory for the victories in your life.

 He is the overcomer and with him by your side fears can be chased away, tears wiped dry, unanswered questions fade into insignificance and peace can flood your soul.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

It's out of your hands, you've done all you can do
You've given God the problem, it's no longer up to you
You've prayed the prayer of faith, you're standing on God's truth
While you're waiting on an answer He has a question for you

Is anything too hard for God
Who's got a problem beyond His pow'r to solve
Are there situations He's not the master of
Is anything too hard for God

Only believe trust His word, you'll see
His plans are now unfolding, performing perfectly
It's clear how much He loves you, look at all He's done
For all your questions there is really only One

Is anything too hard for God
Who's got a problem beyond His pow'r to solve
Are there situations He's not the master of
Is anything too hard for God

Are there situations He's not the master of
   Is anything too hard for God                 


No comments:

Post a Comment