Tuesday, 22 September 2026

 

But what about Mondays?

 


Trusting in the Lord is not always easy. Honestly, trusting in general is often hard. People let us down. Times are hard. We put our faith in things that disappoint us. In people that fall short.

Thankfully, God is totally trustworthy. Do you believe that?

If you’re unsure, look at a few verses with me.

Numbers 23:19 KJV - God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Deuteronomy 7:9 KJV - Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Psalm 9:10 KJV - And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

Deuteronomy 31:6 KJV - Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Are you convinced yet?

Oh, but that’s Old Testament, you say.” Okay. Let’s jump into the New Testament then.

Hebrews 10:23 KJV - Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;

Philippians 4:19 KJV - But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:24 KJV - Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Need I go on?

The trustworthiness of God is revealed all throughout the pages of scripture. Countless stories reveal his perfect character and prove God keeps his promises.

If you have put your faith in Christ Jesus and call yourself one of his children, then you have proved that you trust him with your eternal destiny. This shows that you believe he will do what he has promised. You believe that you have a home in Heaven. You believe that he forgives sins. You believe that you have been justified, redeemed, chosen, loved and bought with a price.

Why is it then, that we so readily trust him with our lives and yet we don’t trust him with our Mondays?

What do I mean?

Well, we say we trust him. But when Monday rolls around, we begin to fret and to worry. We’re concerned we won’t be able to pay our bills. We worry about our health. We worry about what will happen if we lose our job or our house or the car breaks down for the 4th time.

How is it that we trust him in the big things like where we’ll go when we die, and then we don’t trust him to enough to provide for us. We worry about how we’ll make our paycheck stretch to afford the grocery bill? We don’t trust him quite enough to supply the small things.

Hands up if you’re guilty. Me too. Me too.

Just today I’ve been struggling with some disappointing news. Something I thought was finally an answer to prayer. Long prayed for and finally coming to fruition and then a spanner was thrown in the works yet again. And instantly my mood began to change. A cloud began to form over my head and the doubts arose.

How was this going to work? And why would God let it happen? And what was the solution? And sadly, I confess, the question arose in my head, not exactly worded like this but it was basically what we all do, “how can I help God out with this problem?”.

Stupid, right? Who do I think I am that I think I would even begin to be able to ‘help’ him out? As if the creator of all the earth and sky needs my help.

I am reminded of a well-known verse found in Proverbs.

Proverbs 3:5,6 KJV - Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

We know this verse so well, some of us having had it memorized since early childhood. But do we actually put it into practice?

That word ‘lean’ is not a casual leaning. In Hebrew, it actually means ‘to put your whole weight on’. So, we can put all our weight, all our cares, all our fears on God with all our hearts and as we acknowledge his greatness and his ability, he will direct our path.

And sometimes, directing our path means allowing things to go dark for a bit so we can see his light. So, we can follow his leading.

I became a Christian at an early age and over the years I have grown to love the Lord more and more as he has proved himself faithful and trustworthy. I have never yet doubted that he died for me on that cross. I have never doubted that he has all power and all authority and will swing wide heaven’s doors so I can enter in. Washed. Cleansed. Seen as righteous.

But all too often I doubt he can do the small things. I worry he won’t provide. I worry he won’t work out the problem I’m facing.

What about Mondays?

Are you trusting him with the everyday? With the little things. With the mundane. With the minor annoyances. With the unpaid bill. With the broken-down car. With the job rejection.

How often do we read on to verse 7 in Proverbs chapter 3?

Proverbs 3:7 KJV - Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Do you see what it says there? Don’t be wise in your own eyes. Don’t think your understanding is best. Don’t think that you have it all figured out. God has ways of showing us very clearly that we don’t!

The Bible tells us we are like a fool if we follow our own wisdom instead of God’s.

Proverbs 26:12 KJV - Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

Today, I needed the reminder that the God who holds the universe in his hands, can handle my Mondays, or Tuesdays or any day for that matter.

If it matters to me, it matters to him.

Big or small. Whatever it is. He knew about it before time began and he is able to take care of it. Without our help, I might add!

Our job is to trust. To wait. To submit. To obey.

He is able to do more than we ask or even think.

Ephesians 3:20 KJV - Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

What an awesome God!                   

No comments:

Post a Comment