Monday 8 August 2022

 


Grace for Today

 


After what has seemed like a never-ending, tortuously long, season of uncertainty and unanswered questions these past couple of years, I sit here at my computer, reading over devotions, articles, study material, Bible verses and notes I’ve written down over the years, trying to find what God would have me share, knowing the burning desire that is in my heart to write and encourage others in their Christian walk.

There is so much in the Word of God, a treasure trove of wisdom and comfort, guidance and help, and yet, at times, it seems, with the abundance comes an overwhelming uncertainty as to which part of God’s Word is the part I need for today. For this season. For this moment.

We are all in different seasons of life, all facing a different set of circumstances, different trials, different blessings, but thankfully, the Word of God is able to cover it all. There is something for everyone, in every season of life, in every storm, in every moment of sadness or joy.

Right now, I feel a little worn. Weary. Uncertain. Confused. I have questions that are not being answered. I have prayers that feel unheard. I have wounds that remain unhealed. And although I know God is with me and hears every prayer I pray and sees every tear that falls, I still have a sense of melancholy washing over me.

I feel a little like the Psalmist.

Psalm 42:5 - Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?......

I wonder why it is my soul is disquieted. What is this restlessness that pervades my very being, threatening to overwhelm me at any given moment?

There is discontentment trying to rear its ugly head and lies of the Devil whispering in my ears.

Unfortunately, Satan knows how to hit us hard when we are at our weakest. Stress, weariness, sickness and confusion are just some of his favourite playgrounds.

But I am so glad that we have a weapon to use against him. We have something to throw back in his face. We have something to silence his whispers. We have Grace. God’s grace. We have God’s grace upon our lives. We have grace for each and every day. Grace for today.

I am reminded of God’s people, the Israelites, wandering in the wilderness, waking up each and every morning to manna, sent from Heaven. Grace for each day.

Exodus 16:4 KJV - Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

They were given undeserved kindness. It didn’t matter that they were a complaining, miserable, unthankful lot. They were given Grace.

When we are overwhelmed by our lot in life and the current season we find ourselves in, when the questions abound, but the answers are not forthcoming, when we exhaust ourselves in striving and struggling, there is a God who has grace for each day.

There is a God who shows mercy and love to us, although we are undeserving. There is a God who knows how to give us just enough grace for each day and he tells us how we can attain it.

Hebrews 4:16 KJV - Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

And that God is our God. Our Redeemer. Our Saviour. Our Sustainer. Our Protector. Our Life-Giver.

I don’t understand all that is going on in my life at present, and I certainly have questions and I feel frustrated at not knowing the way forward right now, but I can rely on God’s timing and His ways to be perfect, and I can rest assured in knowing, that he will give me just enough grace for each day. Not more and not less. Just enough.

How he does it is up to him. I need to come boldly to him and ask for it. I just need to stretch out my hands and receive it.

Just like the Israelites so many years ago, they had to reach out and take hold of the precious manna from Heaven. They had to step out in faith and take hold of God’s goodness to them. They had to accept God’s grace to them and be satisfied with what he supplied.

And we too, need to take hold of God’s grace. We need to come to him boldly, asking for grace and mercy in our time of need.

I love that we are able to come boldly. With confidence. Not timidly. Not fearfully, but boldly! Throwing open the doors exuberantly and running straight into his waiting arms.

God doesn’t always reveal what lies ahead, but he does give us just what we need for this very moment.

Sometimes I get greedy, and I want more than my days quota of grace, when in reality, I should be grateful for just a crumb. Just a hint of it. We are so undeserving of God’s favour upon our lives and yet he pours out his blessings so abundantly and so freely.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:

He tells us that his grace is sufficient. What he allows is enough. What he grants is just what we need.

Let me go back to the verse in Psalms again and read the last part.

Psalm 42:5 KJV - Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

When we are disquieted in our souls, we can hope in God. We can patiently wait on him. He will see us through. He will give grace for today.

And that grace is all you need. Take hold of it and be content with what he gives. Praise him and rejoice in his goodness.

 

Why are you cast down, my soul?
And why have you no song?
Hope thou in God;
He is your tower strong.
God is my salvation strength
And He is now my song.
Hope thou in God;
He is your tower strong.

There's no valley,
There's no place,
There's no danger you must face alone
For He walks with you
And cries your tears before you do.
And there's no valley,
There's no place,
Nowhere that's beyond His grace.
Be strong
For he walks with you
And knows your steps before you do.
He is there.
He is here.
Don't you fear.
He is there.
He is here.
Don't you fear!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment