Wednesday 19 January 2022

 

The Knowing and the Doing

 


Well, if you read my last post, you’ll know that life has been a bit of a struggle of late. So today, seeking to encourage my heart in the Word of God, I spent some time listening not only to God’s Word being read aloud via my Bible app, but I also spent time soaking in God’s truth in the form of sermons, which praise God, we all have available to us at the touch of a button, any time, day or night.

As I listened to one particular sermon that fed my soul and encouraged my heart, I was struck by this quote, so simple and yet, so profound.

“There’s a big difference between knowing what to do,

and doing what we know”

Now you might read that and think, duh. Obvious. But read it again. Slowly.

Do you know that when we’re faced with problems in our lives, or we’re presented with a difficult situation or an impossible person, knowing what to do is almost never the problem. If we are in our Bibles, like we should be, and we are walking close to the Lord, seeking his wisdom and guidance, then we usually know what we should be doing. We already know what God would have us do or say or not say. We know how we should act as Christians. It’s a matter of doing what we know!

Often, we search for God’s will when it’s already clearly stated in the Word of God, we just don’t want to do it, so we stall in apparent indecision, waiting on God, delaying our obedience.

When I was having my little pity party and wallowing in my pit of despair, (don’t judge, I know this happens to you too), I knew what I should be doing, but doing what I knew I should do and actually doing it were 2 very different things.

I knew that what my soul needed was encouragement from God’s Word. I needed to be listening to the scripture, not having the strength to actually pick up a book and read. I needed to be praying and bringing to mind the verses that I call my ‘go-to’ verses when I’m struggling.

So, yes, in my situation, knowing what to do was not the problem! I knew what to do. It was my selfish will that needed adjusting. I needed to take that first step and reach out to the Lord and place my fears in his hands, take hold of his outstretched arms and let him lift me up.

God will never leave us in our pit if we are willing to make the effort to climb out. He expects us to take that first faltering step. Like the priests in the days of the Exodus of the Israelites, they had to take that first terrifying step into the swollen river, to see God’s hand miraculously at work. And then, and only then, did he reveal his almighty power to them.

So, can I encourage you to take that first step. Whatever that step may be. When you know what you should do, then just do it! Don’t wait until things get worse and the pain becomes unbearable. If you know the will of God, then just obey. Put down your bucket of excuses, empty yourself of the pathetic lies you tell yourself, wipe down the mud off your arms and reach out to Jesus. He’s right there waiting for you. He doesn’t leave you, he’s always there. It’s you that walks away. The reason he’s so far away is because you have moved, not him!

Do what you know to do!

 

James 4:17

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment