Monday 24 January 2022

 

Making Time for God’s Word

 


If you read my last post, you’ll remember that I spoke about goals. One of my highest priority goals on my list for 2022 is to be in the Word of God more and more. More reading of the scripture, more writing of the scripture and meditating on it.

I realised that over the past year, I have spent countless hours consuming all the ‘extras’ during my quiet times. Things like devotionals, sermons, podcasts and worship music. On my bookshelves, I have countless books that endeavour to help me grow in my spiritual walk, books on being a better wife and mother, books to help me study the Bible better, books that help me to become more and more like Christ.

All these resources are a great blessing and encouragement to my soul, and they are written or spoken by men and women of God, who love the Lord and desire to help others grow in their spiritual walk. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that these resources are not important. They are so important, and God uses men and women to write and speak and sing words that speak to our hearts and encourage us in our day to day lives. But all these things we read and hear come from a higher source. They come from the Word of God. The Bible.

Yes. The books we find so helpful, the sermons that teach us precious truths, the songs that speak to our souls and bless our hearts all originate from the Bible. Their source is the Word of God.

In 2 Timothy, we find Paul writing to Timothy and the church at Ephesus. He reminds them that the Word of God has strength and power and is profitable for many things.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The Bible isn’t just a collection of nice stories and truths that make good song lyrics and saleable books. No, the Word of God is so much more. It is powerful and alive and has the ability to transform lives.

Hebrews 4:12  - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Bible is personal. And it is applicable to every person. It is God’s message to us and if all we’re doing is using it to answer our Bible study questions or checking up on where a verse is found so we can text it to a friend in need, then we are sadly missing out on so much more.

I have been convicted of late, that I need to be reading the Word of God more. I need to be making sure that along with all my ‘extras’, I make time to read the Bible and not just skim over passages or read a verse or 2, but actually read it and meditate on it.

It’s so easy to get caught up in reading a short devotional, listening to a sermon or 2 throughout the day, singing and praising the Lord as you listen to your favourite songs and never actually open the pages of your Bible and let the Word come alive and speak to your heart. I have often been guilty of this very thing. I’m still getting the Word into my mind as I read the few verses mentioned in a post or devotional, but there’s nothing quite like going to the source for yourself and reading the whole passage and gaining an understanding of the context and its full meaning.

One way that I am finding to do this is to actually, physically, write out whole chapters of the Bible. As you write out the Words of scripture, you are reading them, you are thinking about them and you are pouring them into your mind and heart, all through putting pen to paper. Try it and see if you’re not blessed through the simple act of writing it down.

Another great way is to listen to the Word of God being read aloud. Often when I am busy doing housework, or I’m getting ready for the day to begin, I’ll let my Bible app play a passage of scripture and I find, that just through listening to the Bible being read, I am blessed beyond measure.

I want to develop such a hunger for the Word of God, that not a day goes by that I don’t open my Bible and read the stories for myself. I want to dig into the verses and look for the lessons and apply them to my life. I want to daily take time to let God’s Word soak into my mind and heart and soul.

So, as the year gains momentum and we race through the days and months ahead, will you join me in setting the goal (and actually carrying it through), of setting aside more time to read the Bible? And when you read, don’t forget to meditate on what you read, take notes on what you learn and write verses of scripture on little cards and leave them around the house so that the Word of God is visible to you and to others who visit your home.

If you want to learn more about how important the Bible is, take a look at Psalm 119. What a treasure trove that chapter is! You will find so many gems in it that you will easily fill a notebook.

I want to be able to say along with the Psalmist:

I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. … My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes. … Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage. …  O how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day. … Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:16, 48, 54, 97, 105


God bless you as you seek to learn more

about him through the pages of Scripture!

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment