Saturday 19 June 2021

Who Are You Listening To?


 

Just last week I received an email from a Christian lady I don’t know, asking for advice on dealing with depression and anxiety. She is struggling with everyday life and as I have been there, and lived through the same pain she is dealing with, she wrote in anticipation that I could give her words of comfort and encouragement and some practical ideas to help her cope with the overwhelm she is feeling.

Whenever I am asked for advice on this subject, I feel so inadequate. I feel like I’m not the right person for the job, but then I hear God whispering to my heart, the words He gave to Moses so very long ago, found in the book of Exodus 4:12 - Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.

I am also reminded of the prayer I prayed during my time of trial. I asked the Lord to firstly, help me make it through the trial, and secondly, to use me to help others when, and not if, I came out on the other side. I wanted to be able to share the lessons I had learned and the Bible verses that had helped me.

And the Lord has answered that prayer so many times. What a blessing to be able to use a trial for His glory and for the benefit of others. We don’t always understand why God has us go through things, but He always has a plan.

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

In praying over what I would say to this lady, I came across some old notes I had jotted down. “It’s not what you go through that determines where you end up, it’s who you listen to.” Let me say that one more time, just in case you weren’t paying attention.

“It’s not what you go through that determines where you end up, it’s who you listen to.”

It’s not what, it’s who!

Who are you listening to? Is it God? Is it yourself? Is it the devil’s lies? Or is it others around you?

It makes a difference, you know. Who we listen to makes all the difference.

Two people can go through similar trials and one person ends up bitter and the other ends up better. And the difference comes about because of who they are listening to as they face the difficult circumstance in their life.

When I was struggling with depression and anxiety, I began to listen to the devil’s lies about me. They went something like this:

You are a failure. As a wife, a mother and as a Christian! You’ve let God down. Why would God want anything to do with someone as miserable as you? You’re not even saved. How can you be, in your present state?

And on and on the lies went. To the point where I doubted my own identity in Christ.

Now, we know that Satan is the father of lies. He is the accuser of the brethren. He is our adversary. He is a slanderer. He is a tempter. He will do anything possible to destroy us and to destroy our faith in God.

But although these lies were ringing loud in my ears, as I dug into the Word of God, and cried aloud to the Lord, the truths of God began to overpower the lies, and who I was in Christ began to be the louder voice. God’s voice began to shout over the top of the devil!

I am chosen and precious

I am a joint-heir with Christ

I am a new creation

I am God’s workmanship

I am a sheep of His pasture

I am light

I am salt

I am part of the true vine

I am a lively stone

I am a friend of God

I am a citizen of heaven

I am a child of God

When we begin to listen to the wrong voices, we will become overwhelmed. We will struggle to keep on. Life will become too hard to live.

But oh, the joy, when we listen to the voice of God.

Our friends can be a comfort to us in times of trouble, but sometimes they can become miserable comforters, like Job’s friends. They started out well. They sat for 7 days, without speaking, just being there for him, but when they did open their mouths, they were no help at all. Job had to rely on what he knew of God. He let God’s voice become the louder voice.

And we have to do the same. Yes, we need friends and family around us, and we need their words of comfort and encouragement. But the voice that should drown out all other voices, should be the Lord’s.

Who are you listening to?

So many times, we ask the Lord to speak to us? We ask for a word from him. But God is always speaking to us. He has given us His Word. I’m sorry to sound insensitive, but sometimes we just need to shut up and listen!

We need to stop listening to the wrong voices, quiet our hearts and listen for God’s voice. He has already spoken and is still speaking to us today. Stop and listen!

When I am in a difficult situation, and a bible verse comes to my mind and strengthens me, it is God speaking to me. When I read my bible and I am comforted by the promises I find there, God is speaking to me. Listen. He is speaking.

I want to be like the child Samuel, when the Lord called to him and he answered, “Speak, for thy servant heareth.”

I want to hear the voice of the Lord. I want my ears to be tuned to His words. I want to listen to all He has to say. I want to become deaf to the lies of the devil and the unhelpful words of others. I want the voice I hear and the voice I listen to and respond to, to be the Lord’s voice.

It’s not what you go through that determines where you end up. What you are going through right now may be hard. It may seem there is no end in sight. You may feel you’re in the dark and the tunnel stretches out endlessly before you. The way before you may not be clear and life may seem hopeless, but who you listen to makes all the difference.

Let God’s words speak to your heart. Read God’s Word daily and let it soak into your soul. Listen to Godly music. Listen to Godly men and women expound the Words of scripture and learn the lessons they are trying to teach. Get together and pray with a friend. Fellowship regularly with other like-minded Christians that will edify you and rebuke you in love, if necessary. Memorize bible verses and meditate on them, day and night. Let those sleepless nights become times of praise and worship to the Lord. Cry out to Him and give Him all the glory for His goodness to you.

Who are you listening to?

Listen to the voice of God.

Listen. Listen. Listen.

And then step out in obedience and confidence…

Philippians 1:6 KJV - Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment