Tuesday 8 June 2021

 

...................And Then, a Little Bird Sang

 

Well, here I sit again, after a very long and tiring 2 days, complete with more transport dramas and unpredictable moments.

But I just feel like these are the times the Lord starts the wheels of my mind turning, drawing my thoughts to Him and His goodness.

As I was driving today, I had so many thoughts and things I wanted to write down and share, but no time to actually do it. I did manage to grab a scrap of paper and scribble some hastily written lines, with the steering wheel as my desk, as I sat waiting for a roadworks stop light to turn green. But it wasn’t even close to enough time to write what was rattling round my brain. (Unfortunately, I had forgotten my little voice recorder)

So, all day my heart has been bursting with a blessing that needs sharing. I want to share with you something beautiful.

Struggling to sort all the freight in the freezing cold room this morning, I stepped outside to sit on the tailgate of my truck as I waited for Dave to finish a phone call.

I closed my eyes to breathe a short Nehemiah prayer unto the Lord. I needed the strength that only God could give and the peace that only He could infuse into my soul. As I sat for a few seconds, basking in the beautiful sunlight, warming me from head to toe, I prayed for the Lord’s direction. I prayed that He would give Dave wisdom for the days troubles and help to calm his already stressed body and brain. I prayed for patience and love and peace for me, and the ability to respond correctly and obey submissively.

And as I sat, a little bird began to sing. I couldn’t see him, but I could hear his glorious song. This little bird was singing his song of praise to the Lord. And he was singing a peace into my heart. While the chaos reigned, the little bird sang.

What an amazing display of God’s goodness! I saw it as a touch from God. I felt like God was reminding me that He was near. He was reminding me of His comforting presence.

And it didn’t end there. Throughout the rest of the day, when I should have been flustered and harried at being late for deliveries, due to the morning’s dramas, and the endless stream of caravans and roadworks along the highway, I felt peace. I looked into the sky and God had thought it perfectly suited to place my favourite shaped clouds in the sky. (Does anyone else have a favourite type of cloud?)

Not only did he put the clouds in the sky, but He turned up the saturation on the colours all over! The reds were redder, the greens greener, the blues bluer and so on.

I turned on one of my favourite podcasts and it just so happened (although I know it wasn’t a coincidence), that the lesson was on gratitude and having a grateful heart. Making sure to thank God each and every day for the little things as well as the big. And making it a point to be grateful, in the midst of a trial, knowing and trusting God, having faith that He already knows the end of our story and we need not fear.

And as I drove down the dirt road, gazing at the beautiful creation all around me, I listened to music that soothed my soul and brought such a calm that I felt as though I could have driven for ever.

And all because a little bird sang. A little bird, given his voice by God in heaven above, sang a song of worship to his creator and in doing so, calmed my anxious mind and soothed my fretful, and burdened heart.

That little bird was no accident. I believe that emphatically. God sent that little bird on a mission. He sent him to me at that exact moment in time. Right at the time I breathed a prayer up to heaven, God sent a song.

Listen for those little birds in your life. Those heavenly whispers. That still small voice that speaks to your heart.

Rise up in worship, and praise God for those little reminders of His love.

Psalm 103:1-2

 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

Psalm 104:12  - By them shall the fowls of the heaven have their habitation, which sing among the branches.

Psalm 150:6

 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



1 comment: