Tuesday 20 August 2024

 

Did you forget to get dressed?

 


Every evening, before I go to bed, I lay out the clothes I am planning to wear the next day. I do this for a couple of reasons. One is that most days I wake before the sun has risen, and so, instead of blinding myself by turning on the light when I’m not quite ready for that yet, I am able to get dressed easily as I don’t have to search for anything.

Another reason is that I like to be prepared the night before for my day ahead. I find that when I am organized beforehand, my morning schedule goes a lot smoother. Kettle filled. Travel mug at the ready. Quiet time Bible study materials laid out. Shoes, hat, keys, wallet, pen etc on the counter and water bottle ready to be filled.

Now, to some of you, this may seem excessive, but it’s the way I like it. It works for me and so I do it.

My husband, on the other hand, is not so inclined. His way of getting ready is vastly different to mine, and yet it works for him.

So, where am I going with all this boring, personal stuff?

Every morning, or the night before, we give some thought as to what we are going to wear for the day. We think about what we'll be doing that day, and it determines what clothes we'll wear.

 

Is it a workday? Is it a church day? Is it a cold day? A hot day? Will we be getting dirty? Will we be sitting in an office? Will we be meeting with a friend for coffee? Our mind runs those scenarios over in our heads, and we plan accordingly.

 

But how often do we get up and “get dressed spiritually”? Do we rise every morning and plan what to wear spiritually?

 

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been studying in preparation for an upcoming series I will be teaching in our Ladies Bible Study, on the subject of the Armour of God.

When the topic was first suggested to me, I thought that maybe it was too overdone and would have a lullaby effect on the listeners, but after praying about it, I really felt it was something that was needed and there was a LOT that I didn’t really understand about it and I was keen to do some digging in order to gain a better understanding and grow in my Christian walk.

Now, I don’t have the space here to go into all I have been studying, but something I had written a few years back came to mind and I wanted to share it in light of the thoughts rattling round in my brain. It is only a tiny portion of the iceberg that lies beneath, and I encourage you to do some in depth study on your own.

Take a look at the passage in Ephesians and read what Paul wrote to the people of Ephesus, remembering that what he wrote then, is just as applicable to us now. Don’t skip any verses just because of familiarity of the passage.

Ephesians 6:10-18 - Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

We read in this passage about the battle clothes God wants us to wear.

As believers, we have access to incredible power, but also a great responsibility to learn how to put on and how to use the armour of God.

The choice we have as Christians, is not whether we’ll be a Christian civilian or a Christian soldier, but whether we’ll be a prepared Christian soldier or an unprepared one.

Paul gives clear instructions as to what to wear spiritually, what it does and how to use it.

We would never, even on our most brain-dead days, get up to start our day, without stopping to get dressed. No! We put at least a little bit of effort into clothing ourselves and being prepared for the day by what we choose to wear.

 

Why then, do we neglect to clothe ourselves spiritually? Why do we think we can make it through the day spiritually naked!

 

Some people think they can get by with a spiritual clothing once a week. On Sunday, they soak up the Word, read and pray, then for the rest of the week, they get about without their armour (spiritual clothes) on. And yet, they take care to get dressed physically each and every day.

 

The Bible clearly tells us why it's important to be clothed with His armour. We will be able to “stand against the wiles of the devil”. (Ephesians 6:11) His cunningness, his trickery and his deceit.

 

The Devil is very real. Don’t overestimate his abilities, but don’t underestimate him either.

 

The Bible tells us that if we put on the whole armour of God, not some, but ALL, we will “be able to withstand in the evil day”. (Ephesians 6:13).

 

I don't know about you, but I feel like we're living in the 'evil day'. Unless you live under a rock (like my 12th grade geography teacher thought of me because we didn't have a television), or you are in denial about the wickedness in the world today, you too know that we live in evil days. All the more reason to put on God's armour. Satan is just as active today as he was back in Paul’s day.

 

The Bible also tells us in verse 16 that we'll be able to “quench all the fiery darts of the wicked”. I know I don't want to take on a fiery dart without some protection.

 

So often we're guilty of taking care of the physical and neglecting the spiritual. We get dressed physically, but we forget to get dressed spiritually!

 

Paul didn’t say, “Bring the armour of God along with you on the off chance that you might need it.” Rather, he said, “You will need it: so, PUT IT ON!”

 

He knew that our enemy, the Devil, is out to get us. He is a liar, a deceiver, a tempter, an accuser, a slanderer.

 

The Devil knows that once you are a child of God, he cannot take away your eternal destiny. It’s too late for that. He also knows that he has been defeated already and his fate is sealed. And so, the best he can do, is to make your time on earth unproductive, full of fear and discouragement until you are unable to live freely and fully. He wants to render you ineffective in God’s work.

 

One of my sisters used to tell me in my teenage years, that it looked like I'd rolled around in my drawer and climbed out (due to my wrinkled state and a hippie phase I was going through at the time).

 

Well, it's not enough to 'roll around in the drawer' of God's Word, metaphorically speaking, and expect to come out with your armour on. You can't expect to be clothed right if all you do is read your Bible on Sunday, and maybe a little verse along with a nice short devotional every other day.

 

As we read our Bibles and study them, applying what we learn in obedience and couple it with prayer, allowing God to shape every aspect of our lives, we begin to be clothed in his armour. The battle we face is not an earthly one, and the enemy fighting us is a powerful foe, so we need supernatural power. God’s power and God’s armoury.

 

As we believe God’s truth and hide it in our hearts, we have it there ready for the enemy’s attack. As we arm ourselves with God’s spiritual clothing, we protect ourselves for when the battle heats up. We are prepared and ready. Dressed for war!

 

Just as we understand the need for getting dressed in our physical attire every day, we need to see the importance of getting dressed for the spiritual battle that is being waged against us by someone who hates God, hates us and seeks only to destroy us and our reputation.

 

We need to be ready. Alert. Watchful. And dressed appropriately.

 

1 Peter 5:8 KJV - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

 

 

O, church arise and put your armour on
Hear the call of Christ our captain
For now the weak can say that they are strong
In the strength that God has given

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment