Saturday 11 May 2024

 

I am so Blessed

Well, another year has past, and another Mother’s Day is here! I am not in the habit of posting an annual tribute to Mothers, but this year I wanted to step into this space to take the time to brag on my beautiful daughters.

I know it’s Mother’s Day and it is a day where we traditionally celebrate Mothers, but I am only a Mother because of the amazing children God gifted my husband and I with.

Beginning way back in 1996, welcoming our first daughter, Lauren, into the world and then Abigail in 1998, Emilee in 2000, Madeline in 2001 and finally, Chloe, in 2003.

What a crazy, wild, rollercoaster ride it has been!

They say that Mother’s hold their children’s hands for a little while, but their hearts forever, and a truer statement in regard to motherhood, has never been said!

It seems that only yesterday I began my motherhood journey and walked through days of babies, toddlers, homeschooling, learning to drive, navigating teen years and occupations and finally adulthood for each of them.

Motherhood is a very challenging and yet rewarding occupation, if I can call it that, and raising children is a great responsibility and one we should never take lightly. When God calls you to motherhood, you begin shaping little lives and future generations. Will you train them to follow after Christ or will they chase the world? It’s a daunting task and one that needs God’s wisdom each and every day.

I would love to write pages and pages on each of our daughters, reliving moments, and singing their praises, but it would be hard to know how much to share for each of them, not wanting any of them to feel left out.

But what I can say is this,

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. 3 John 1:4

It is only by God’s grace that we are blessed to see each of our daughters walking in truth. They have a heart to serve the Lord and a desire to walk in his ways. Yes, they’ve faced their share of challenges, one of them being learning to live with their mum and her failings, but they have weathered it well and learnt to rely on the Lord to be their strength, their guide, their counsellor and their help.

God has blessed three of them (so far) with wonderful husbands who match their desire for God and lead their families well. Our hearts overflow with thankfulness for God’s goodness to us and them.

When I married the love of my life, back in 1995, I had no idea what God had in store for me. I didn’t know what the future would hold. I only knew that I always wanted to be a mother. I loved babies and knew I wanted some of my own.

I did not know, however, how much work it would be. I didn’t realise what an awesome responsibility I would be facing and how much my heart would burst as I looked into their sweet little faces in those first few moments after their birth.

I didn’t understand the frustration of not knowing what to do when tensions rose, or sickness came, or sleepless nights abounded.  

I couldn’t fathom just how much of God’s wisdom I would need in raising little ones, teaching and training them, exemplifying a Godlike character, modelling Christlikeness and growing in my own spiritual walk, trying to squeeze in quiet times with the Lord and quality time with my husband. It was such a juggle of priorities and yes, at times, it was downright hard. And there were days when I wondered if they would remember all my failings or would forgive my anger or bad attitude.

I have many regrets when it comes to my faults and the mistakes I made, but God is a God who forgives, and he restores and renews and sends along new mercies each morning.

Despite the hard times, there were so many beautiful memories made that I cherish to this day, and if I had to go back and do it all again, I would!

My daughters are a source of blessing in my life, and I love how the dynamic of our relationship has changed over the years. We have grown in our relationships from Mother to friend. Although I will always be ‘Mum’, it’s beautiful when you become a ‘friend’.

I am so proud of my daughters’ accomplishments in life, work, ministry, marriage, child raising, spiritual growth, relationships and so much more.

They each have unique personalities and gifts and talents that God has blessed them with and praise God they are learning to use them for him. I give all the credit to God for this.

I may have taught them the basics in life and given them a start in their education, but it is God who has done the greatest work. In the process of growing them, he has grown me.

Motherhood has a way of changing you.

And so, I say, to each of my daughters, you have helped to soften me, and teach me. You have pushed me to draw closer to God. The paths I have been down because of the uncertainty I faced only drew me to my knees in prayer and to my Father’s side. You have helped me see the importance of chasing God’s wisdom and guidance. You have made me dig into God’s Word for answers. You have taught me patience. You have taught me to love and to give. You have taught me how to comfort and show compassion. And I am forever grateful.

I love you. Always and forever.

 Psalm 127:3

 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

“Being a Mother is not about what you gave up to have a child, but what you’ve gained from having one”




1 comment: