Thursday 3 November 2022

 

Fill your Mouth with Laughter, 

Sing and Rejoice!

 


Over the past couple of weeks, I have been studying for our Ladies Bible Study, on the subject of gratitude. I have been convicted once again of my lack of thankfulness and regular verbal praise of our Great God.

Take a look at this passage in Psalms.

Psalm 126:1-6

When the LORD turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream.

Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.

The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.

Turn again our captivity, O LORD, as the streams in the south.

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

I love the reminders in Scripture that encourage us to give thanks to the Lord and to remember all that He has done for us. Unfortunately, we need to be reminded. It’s sad that we don’t naturally give thanks and praise to God. It’s something we have to learn. Like learning to be content, we have to learn to praise.

In this Psalm, we see the rejoicing of God’s people. When God brought them out of captivity, and back to Jerusalem, it was like a dream to them. A beautiful, wonderful, unbelievable, amazing dream. It seemed too good to be true. But it was true! And it was cause for rejoicing.

The hearts of God’s people were overflowing with joy and their mouths were filled with laughter and singing. The heathen even looked on in disbelief, marvelling at God’s goodness to his people.

What I love about this passage is the fact that the people gave praise to God. They realised that it was his doing, and he alone deserved their praise, their worship, their singing and laughter.

How often do we neglect to give thanks to God for his goodness to us?

There are some times in our lives that we feel alone, lost and helpless. But those times should draw us closer to the Lord and should cause us to remember all the things God has done for us, and we should be glad. Our mouths should be filled with laughter, our tongues with singing and we should rejoice!

If we take time daily in praising the Lord and giving thanks to Him, it will change our view and our attitude. If we make time to remember all the good and all the blessings the Lord showers upon us, it will encourage our hearts and we will gain the strength to carry on.

Gratitude doesn’t come naturally to us, just as contentment does not. It is something we have to learn. We have to cultivate it. Feed it. Grow it.

As I’ve studied these past weeks, I have made it a point, to take some time each morning, before I get busy with my day, to sit and write down a few things I am thankful for, from the day before, or any particular instance that comes to mind.

And do you know what I’ve found? I have experienced a happier outlook. It is amazing what some gratefulness and a thankful spirit does for your mood. I have felt more content, less stressed, and more able to deal with the challenges each day brings, and I have a sense of peace and joy in my soul.

The days have not been easier, in fact, I’ve worked so much in the past few weeks, that I marvel at the end of each day at the strength God has given me to perform my tasks and still stand upright!

But, although the days have been long, God’s peace and joy has pervaded my whole being and washed over me, enclosing me in a tender embrace, like a hot cup of tea and a warm blanket on a cold day, rising up inside of me in a way I had not experienced before.

It’s all a matter of perspective. When you choose to view everything through the eyes of thanksgiving and praise, the whole world looks different.

Often, I look at my circumstances from a cup half empty perspective. But I am learning, and believe me, it’s a process, I am learning to turn things on their head, and try and see something to be thankful for, in every situation.

A few years back, when I was going through a very difficult time in my life, I wrote this verse up on a card to hang above my desk, and I read it often.

Psalm 77:11-12 I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.

The Psalmist chose to remember. We need to remind ourselves of the victories in our lives, of God’s goodness to us, of his protecting hand upon us, of the blessings he has given us.

We need also to meditate on these things. Not just remember briefly, but think on them deeply, thoughtfully, carefully.

And lastly, the Psalmist says he will talk of these things. I will remember. I will meditate. I will talk.

It’s not only important to remember, and to meditate, but also to talk. That means sharing with others what God has done for you.

God’s exiled people, brought back from captivity, chose to laugh and sing, and cry and rejoice. They were verbal in their praise of God.

They shared what God had done for them, so much so, that the heathen marvelled.

When a newcomer sets foot in your church, do they see a joyful spirit amongst God’s people, laughing, singing, rejoicing, crying and giving praise to God? Is there something inside them that longs for what you have? Do they sense a difference?

Or are they met with long faces, hard luck stories, ungodly conversation, misery and despair?

We, as believers, need to be very conscious of how the world sees us. We need to continually remind ourselves of God’s goodness, and then we need to make sure we share it. We need to shout it from the rooftops, proclaim it from the mountaintops, show the world how great our God is.

Look for God in every situation. Look for things to praise God for, in all circumstances, good or bad. And then talk of those things. Share them with others.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Choose gratefulness over grumbling. Write a list. Pray prayers of thanksgiving regularly and have times when you don’t ask for anything, only give thanks and praise to the God who saved your soul and showers you with blessings and love and mercy.

We’ve all heard of and participated in media fasts, but how about a discontentment and grumbling fast? No whinging, no complaining, only praise and thanksgiving!

I dare you to try it for a day! Don’t give up when you fail, because you will. Just get back up, purpose in your heart to be thankful, ask God’s forgiveness and move forward.

God wants to grow a thankful spirit in every one of us. But it takes a choice on our part. Choose to let gratitude be your default. Let God work and praise him not only in the sunshine, but also in the storm.

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

 

 

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment