Wednesday 27 October 2021

 

They are His Billows



Psalm 42:7

Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.

I read this poem today, by Annie Johnson Flint, and it was so timely and beautiful, I needed to share it and some thoughts I had on Psalm 42.

They are HIS billows, whether they go o’er us, 
Hiding His face in smothering spray and foam; 
Or smooth and sparkling, spread a path before us, 
And to our haven bear us safely home. 

They are HIS billows, whether for our succor 
He walks across them, stilling all our fear; 
Or to our cry there comes no aid nor answer, 
And in the lonely silence none is near. 

They are HIS billows, whether we are toiling 
Through tempest-driven waves that never cease, 
While deep to deep with clamor loud is calling; 
Or at His word they hush themselves in peace. 

They are HIS billows, whether He divides them, 
Making us walk dryshod where seas had flowed; 
Or lets tumultuous breakers surge about us, 
Rushing unchecked across our only road. 

They are HIS billows, and He brings us through them; 
So He has promised, so His love will do. 
Keeping and leading, guiding and upholding, 
To His sure harbor, He will bring us through.
 
—Annie Johnson Flint


No matter what we go through, we have to remember that God sends the trials we need to help us grow. They are HIS billows. He knows that strength comes from trials. The tree that grows where the winds blow and the branches bend almost to breaking, is often stronger and has deeper roots than the tree that grows in a sheltered valley, away from the wind and storms. God can bring beauty from ashes, and he can grow character through hardship.

Look at Psalm 42 with me.

Psalm 42:1-11

1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?

 3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?

4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.

5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.

7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.

8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.

9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?

11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

I love that the Psalmist is so honest about his feelings, and he speaks aloud to God, pouring out his heart to him. He lets God know that he thirsts for him, but he also tells God all about his troubles and the doubts he has for his deliverance.

And then we find him talking to himself and rebuking himself for being cast down and disquieted. Sometimes, we just need to talk to ourselves and speak firmly. We need to give ourselves a little talking to. Ask ourselves why we’re depressed, stressed or whatever the case may be. Talk to God, pour out our hearts to him and let his love wash over our souls. And then we need to remind ourselves of God’s goodness.

Remembering past victories is a good way to do this.  Look back over your life and remember the times that God held you up and walked with you through a particular trial, staying beside you and strengthening you until you were out the other side and stronger for it. Remind yourself of the times where God’s amazing, miraculous grace, mercy and deliverance shone through and there was no doubt in your mind that God loved you.

In verse 6, the Psalmist remembered what God had done for him in the past and he verbally praised him. In verse 4 it says that he went into the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise. So, he encouraged himself by meeting with other believers and praised God together. Another important thing to do. Share with others the victories and God’s goodness to you and praise him.

We have to take time to instruct our soul and not let our circumstances dictate our thoughts. Easy to say, not so easy to do. But oh, so important.

God is our hope and although, at times, HIS billows threaten to overwhelm us, they are HIS billows, and they have a purpose. He will deliver us. But he may let us go through some hard times in order to strengthen us and deepen our faith and trust in him. We need to hold on, trust him, wait patiently, and hope in him.

God didn’t bring you through the storm only to abandon you, he wants to make something beautiful of your life. Trust His billows, he will deliver you and he will not leave you.

 

(If you are interested in reading Matthew Henry’s Commentary on this Psalm, I have posted it below).

 

 

Matthew Henry Commentary

42:6-11 The way to forget our miseries, is to remember the God of our mercies. David saw troubles coming from God's wrath, and that discouraged him. But if one trouble follows hard after another, if all seem to combine for our ruin, let us remember they are all appointed and overruled by the Lord. David regards the Divine favour as the fountain of all the good he looked for. In the Saviour's name let us hope and pray. One word from him will calm every storm, and turn midnight darkness into the light of noon, the bitterest complaints into joyful praises. Our believing expectation of mercy must quicken our prayers for it. At length, is faith came off conqueror, by encouraging him to trust in the name of the Lord, and to stay himself upon his God. He adds, And my God; this thought enabled him to triumph over all his griefs and fears. Let us never think that the God of our life, and the Rock of our salvation, has forgotten us, if we have made his mercy, truth, and power, our refuge. Thus, the psalmist strove against his despondency: at last his faith and hope obtained the victory. Let us learn to check all unbelieving doubts and fears. Apply the promise first to ourselves, and then plead it to God.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment