Thursday 23 September 2021

He Will Be With You


 

Do you ever read a verse of scripture and the tears begin to flow? That one verse that never fails to make you tear up. It holds so much meaning and so many memories for you, that as you read it you find your vision blurring, your eyes watering and before you know it, the tears are streaming down your face.

I have a verse that never fails to do this to me.

Isaiah 43:2 KJV - When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

This particular verse was a great comfort to me a couple of years ago when I was going through a very difficult period in my life. I read it over and over. I wrote it up on a piece of card and even to this day, the tear stains are plainly visible on it. The writing is smudged, but I know exactly what it says.

As I struggled through my long days, riddled with anxiety and depression, I clung to the promise this verse held. I will be with thee. The waters won’t overflow me. The fire won’t burn me. I will be with thee.

I read the verse aloud, over and over and over. I read it like a prayer. I claimed it as a promise.

I know that this verse was given to the people of Israel, but it is just as important and meaningful to us today.

In the past few hours, I have been struggling with troubled feelings and emotions. I knew I needed God’s help to get me through the day and so, I went to my list of tried-and-true promises in the Word of God to lift my spirits and soothe my soul. And right at the top of the list was this verse in Isaiah. And yes, the tears began to flow, and as I write this, they continue to do so.

I decided I needed to look again at this verse and the surrounding verses. During my trial, I didn’t really look at verse 1, but today I found a treasure awaiting me there.

Isaiah 43:1 KJV - But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.

Did you see it? Fear not. I have redeemed thee. I called thee by thy name. Thou art mine.

Who said this? The Lord. The creator of the universe. The one who formed you. The one who made you in his image. It’s him who tells you not to fear. Fear not. It’s a command. He reminds us that we are not to fear because we have been redeemed. He paid the debt we could never pay. And he calls us by our name. He knows us. And we are his. He knows my name. He knows your name. We are not just one of millions. He knows us individually and he cares about each and every detail in our lives.

He commands us to fear not and then he follows it up with a promise. I will be with thee. Don’t fear the water, the rivers, the fire. You will be kept safe. You are mine.

And why are we kept safe and how? Because he is God.

Isaiah 43:3a KJV - For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour:

We are kept secure because of who is making the promise. God. The creator. The Saviour. The redeemer. The promise maker and the promise keeper.

I know that for me, I needed to be reminded of this verse today. And maybe you’re struggling today too, and you need this promise.

So, open your heart, and let God’s love wash over you. Let him fill you with his peace and comfort you as only he knows how to. Read over the promise. Let the tears flow. God sees each and every tear you cry. Don’t be afraid to let them spill over as you praise him for his goodness and thank him for all the times he has led you through the darkness and brought you back into the light. Give him all the glory for the miracles he has worked in your life. Praise him for the times the waters did not overflow you and the fires did not burn you. He has redeemed you and he knows you by name. You are precious in his sight. He cares for you and he will never stop caring for you. He loves you with an everlasting love.

1 Peter 5:7 KJV - Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Jeremiah 31:3 KJV - …… Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Fear not! God is with you!

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment