Wednesday 30 December 2020

 

Is That Door Opening in Front of You,

 Meant for You?



Do you ever feel as if your window of opportunity has closed? Do you ever feel like if you don’t walk through that door right now, as soon as you see a little glimmer of light peeking through the small crack in the opening, that you just might miss it? Like it might just close before you get your chance?

I’ve been pondering these questions lately, seeking God’s will and God’s answers. What if this is it? I know I have a calling. I have the desire but is this the right thing for me at this time? Is it truly God’s will or are my motives wrong? Does God have something else for me or is it time to wait? Lord, show me through your eyes, let me see your perspective. Swing the door wide open, or shut it so tightly that I’ll know exactly what Your will is.

Opportunities arise but questions abound! After a lot of prayer and Godly counsel, here’s the conclusion I came to.

When God closes a door, He doesn’t always open a window. Sometimes He would have us sit still in the room and wait patiently on Him. Just because God closes the door to an opportunity doesn’t necessarily mean that He has something bigger and better. Sometimes He has nothing. Nothing right then. Something later maybe, but nothing right then. And we need to remember that our ‘better’ and God’s ‘better’ are often two very different things.

We often hear in Christian circles, not to worry if God closes the door because that just means He has something bigger and better and more amazing than what was behind that door He just closed. And sometimes, that is the case. But not always.

Sometimes we have to sit in a dark room for a while before we can see the light. Sometimes God is silent as He wants to grow our faith and trust. His silence is not a lack of love, it doesn’t mean that we are alone. His silence is a time to trust. It’s a time to hope. It’s a time to grow.

Too many times I have been guilty of seeing an opportunity, seizing it with both hands, only to find that God wanted that door closed, but I was too busy trying to keep it open with my foot, then rushing headlong into it, only to find myself flat on my face wondering what happened.

Not all opportunities our ours to lay hold of. We may see an open door and think it is meant for us, when God has someone else in mind. We rush in boldly, not waiting on God’s leading, cutting off others, like a young child trying to push in line to be the first to get their ice cream, fearing that if they are not first, it will all be gone. Guilty? Yes, I am, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I am so glad that God’s ways are not my ways, and His thoughts are not my thoughts. What a mess I’d be in if I only lived my life in my own strength and with my own plans, without thought of God’s eternal will.

Opportunities will arise from time to time. Opportunities to minister in some way, but keep in mind that the door you see open may not be the door you’re to walk through. A good little saying to remember is this. “Stay out of it unless you have clear direction to step into it”

Pray about each and every endeavour. Get on your knees before the Lord and be serious about receiving an answer. Pray in faith, expecting God to come through. Expecting Him to show you clearly what it is He wants you to do.

And when you see that door closing in front of you, or you see someone else fulfil a role you were sure was yours, then stop. Wait. Rest. Trust. Remember that God’s ways are perfect.

Psalm 18:30, 32 - As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. ... It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.

God will open the right doors and close the wrong doors and He will give you the wisdom to know His will, if you trust Him and walk close to Him, listening always for His still, small voice.

Ephesians 5:17 - Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Forget all the quirky little sayings you read about opportunities and seizing the day. Let God be the deciding factor in all of your decisions. Let His will be the standard. Don’t rush through a door just because it’s open. Not every open door is yours to walk through.

Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment