Tuesday 24 March 2020

Hope 


I recently read this quote by Oscar Hammerstein
“It is a modern tragedy that despair has so many spokesmen and hope so few”

How true this statement is! And we don’t have far to look during these trying times. All we read about, all we hear about, all we watch, all we talk about is despair. Despair. Despair. Despair.

The dictionary defines despair as, ‘the complete loss or absence of hope’. Absence of hope. Hopelessness.  It refers to a state of mind caused by circumstances that seem too much to cope with.

Our world is in a state of despair. It has no hope. And despair has many spokesmen. Too often we read of despair. But how often do we read of hope?

We as Christians, have hope. We have a God who is greater than all the world’s problems. A God who is all knowing, all powerful, all present and all righteous! What a blessed hope it is to know that God holds the world in His hands.

Psalm 95:3-4 For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also.

As a Christian, I have the hope that when God promises something in His Word, I can have full confidence in that promise and put my trust in Him, wholly and completely. I can trust that something will come to pass because God said it would come to pass. It’s not just wishful thinking. I KNOW! I BELIEVE!

Christ died for me. He rose again for me. I have trusted in Him wholly and completely and I have the hope of eternal security. He is my hope. And looking around this world today, He is my ONLY hope!

1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

We need to be spokesmen of hope rather than despair. We ought to be spreading the message of hope instead of listening to the screams of despair. The Bible clearly tells us in 1 Peter, to be ready always to give an answer.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

If you are asked why you are able to stay so calm during chaos, if you are questioned as to how you can live without fear and worry, be ready to give an answer of hope.

Psalm 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.













1 comment: